Category: Algorithmic’s Throne Room Challenge

Week 4 – The Throne

This weekends focus will be finishing the throne and its’ surrounding area’s high poly & low poly models. I spent a large majority of last week getting ahead in my classwork so that I would have a week or two to work so I don’t really have much to show. The main improvement I have is that I’ve finally settled on my main design rules for the environment so moving forward here should me much quicker as most of my delays have been creative blocks. On top of that I am no longer sick so I have no more blocks there.

Another thing I worked on this week in my free time was taking this leaf generator network and putting my own touches and improvements on it:

Procedural Leaf Creation In Substance Designer from Eat 3D on Vimeo.

My goal when I am finished is to have a pretty decent leaf node network for generating them and then taking that and applying it to a forest floor like tiling texture. I am still about halfway through that so I will be posting it in a later blog.

I guess it is pretty much habitual now that I will be making a 2nd post either Sunday or Monday along with my polycount post so expect that. This time I will be posting the updated version of my website along with the blog so there is that to look forward too as well.


Week 3.5 – Blockout Done, Time to Model!

Finished the blockout today. Health issues have slowed me down a lot more than I would have liked this week. Feeling slightly better so hopefully my delays will be over in the next couple of days.

This week I will start modeling the more modular pieces. For more info check out my polycount thread.

Here are 3 potential camera angles for my final beauty shots.

HighresScreenshot00001 HighresScreenshot00002 HighresScreenshot00004


Week 3 – Blockout Part 1

Unfortunately didn’t get much done this week for modeling due to putting in a lot of work on my new portfolio site, resume and dealing with start of the semester type things. But I have the weekend to commit to modeling and will be posting an update with the final blockout sometime Sunday, which will be the same day that I update my polycount thread. Also my new site will be up sometime in the coming week, after that I will be updating my business card and ordering those for GDC. My current ones are fine but I have learned some good tips for making a card specifically for events such as GDC. One of those is adding a headshot of myself and a section for notes on the back of the card, that way my card feels more personal and people can write any note about my they want when they take my info. Another issue with my old card is that the model I threw onto it was my just finished character model from last semester, the problem is that I am not a character artist, and my card understandably confused people. Good thing I wasn’t looking for jobs yet I guess.

As for modeling: I am playing with a lot of basic forms tonight and will most likely be doing so for the next few hours, I just need to get this post out there as an update. I feel like my last environment’s main flaw was a lack of a solid blockout. The current blockout I have now is about the same level of detail, if not more, than what I spent on the old environment. Because of that, last time I fell into a horrible trap where I was half way done with the project, and didn’t like where it was at, or have any clue how to fix it by adding more. I had to basically cut my losses because of deadline and do the best I could with what I had. This time around I am working on an even tighter deadline, but I have many more hours per day to work on the project so I think over all time will even out.

I am really enjoying where this environment is headed though. It will also be the first environment that I don’t really base off of someones concept and then adjust slightly. This one will be mine from the ground up so my blockout is sort of concepting things as well.

From here on out my plans are to finish the blockout (this weekend), make high poly meshes (either in zBrush or Maya depending on what is needed for the mesh) for the base environment (this week and next week), create the lowpoly and bake out, take things into nDo as needed(this week and next week), then Substance Designer or Painter and possibly photoshop if needed (this week and next week), throwing them into unreal and testing lighting (this week and next week). Then onto taking the individual small props from blockout through that same pipeline (next week and the week after).

shot1 shot2