Posting this a day late because I came home exhausted yesterday after a huge list of changes to my plans and woke up at 2am. I wont go into much detail besides mentioning that I am currently writing up a proposal for graduate studies at chico and I have about a week from tomorrow to finish it and turn it in. On top of that I will be in SF for GDC 3 days after that. So very glad I decided to postpone my throne room until after GDC.
Last week my portfolio finally went up, after a year of WIP versions. Honestly I am still not quite happy with the current one, but from here on out I will be doing small edits to the layout instead of taking it down and putting it back up. I want the ability to apply for a job as soon as the posting goes up, and that means having a well maintained and populated portfolio.
On top of that my business cards came in a couple days ago:
As for work, Osman and I started wondering about creating a somewhat perfect wood graph in substance. Wood is one of the more challenging things, in my opinion, to pull off procedurally. I’ve only got about an hour or two worth of work into is so far but I am liking the results. Osman has been working on his own version and whenever we get to a point that we like we have been sharing info. Most of the resources we have found online have been either lacking in quality or lacking in information.
I have some potential solutions for making the knots better, along with making the grain more believable and wood like. I just need to get back in and work on it.
I’ve also been working on some more tile, this time focusing on flooring. Inspired by the amazingly well cleaned floors found all across the Chico campus.
To add onto these tiling textures I have been working with substance in another way this week. The first of witch is creating a brush for substance painter that creates welds. Right now they’re a little too clean around the edges and I want to add in some exposed values giving you more freedom to control what types of welds you want to do, ranging from clean to messy. But it is a start.
The other one I haven’t quite taken into painter yet because I am working out some kinks but it is a paint drips substance effect made for painter or even just for some masked images. I have been planning on playing with PopcornFX so I might try to just create it all in substance alone, or just base it off of a current effect like leaks, but I like the idea of being able to use it in substance without painter involved.